Do you remember factsheet five, trading cassettes, mixtapes and CDs, fanzines and perzines?
The counterculture has always had sophisticated ways to hijack media.
What happened to making art for pleasure and to connect with others?
Remember a time when people were more interested in building community (no matter how small), sharing niche interests, and no one talked about monetizing?
The push to monetize podcasting has placed commodity over culture–what have we lost in the process?
Five of Pretty in Podcast and Tapegun Zine got his start making fanzines in the 90s and has been podcasting since 2014, without ever uttering the phrase “promo code”. Sarah created Dress Code Cracker podcast in 2014 and would rather die than shill for a mattress company.
Key Take Aways
- Creating community with podcasts.
- How to push back against the pressure to commodify
- To reclaim podcasting as a hobby!
- The history of podcasting in the context of a thriving counterculture.
- Why 25 subscribers is awesome!